Sunday, April 3, 2011

8 Things My Friends Don't Understand About My Relationship With My Animal Companions

Saw this note on fb posted by petopia and found it interesting.......speaks from a true dog lover's heart.But some of the points i have to disagree.
Like point number 5.....i have to disagree that Petless friends do not always get why I am willing to spend serious money to treat my dog's or cat's serious illness.
I have seen people with pets putting their animals to sleep because of the huge vet fee that they have to pay for their illness.For me,i belief that unless the animal is sufferring in great pain and cant be cured.If not no matter how much money i have to spend,i will still do it.
Various stupid excuses are:Pregnent,old dogs making way for the young cute ones,moving house....name it..there are all kind of excuses when they dont want their animals they called precious before.
So do you still call this group of people animal lovers??

Remember this....you have your family and friends.BUt they only have you!!

8 Things My Friends Don't Understand About My Relationship With My Animal Companions

We love to talk about our animal companions, be it cats or dogs, show off cute pictures and brag how smart and clever they are. Even when we complain about stepping barefoot on nasty hair balls or cleaning up puppy potty accidents, we do so with affection.
But unless friends share our furry passion, dog and cat conversations often raise eyebrows or spark disbelief about our pet devotion. Here are eight things friends often don't "get" about our relationship with our cats and dogs.

1. No matter what, dogs have to be walked. And though it may seem annoying to friends who want to party, a companion's toilet is more important than a never-ending night at the club. Petless friends don't understand that walking the dog can't wait.


2. Grooming is a health issue and a household necessity. Friends roll their eyes at talk of the poodle salon, kitty lion cuts and doggie t-shirt because they do not understand that grooming is not a luxury, it is a requirement. Keeping fur in good shape prevents painful matting, skin irritation and parasites. Brushing keeps fur off furniture. Rain wear protect dogs' nether regions from getting thoroughly wet. Hair bows and nail polish? Well, they are simply value added.


3. My companions may not like you - and that's fine. Sometimes the people and the animals we love have bad chemistry and do not get along. I hope you like each other, but it is enough that my dog and cat love me and that you love me. And I understand if you do not love them like I do.


4. Companions (OK, their parents) like when you give them gifts. Friends sometimes do not understand why anyone would give a dog or cat a silver-plated food bowl when the pet would happily eat off a paper plate. And it is true, companions do have simple tastes. But really good friends understand that by indulging the animals in my life they are making me happy. Even if you do not get why my dog needs a monogrammed leash, know that I will think of you every time I use it to walk him.


5. Companions take priority in the household budget. Petless friends do not always get why I am willing to spend serious money to treat my dog's or cat's serious illness. They act offended that those funds are not being spent on helping humans in need. But you really do not want to get me started. When my friends give up spending on pricey new golf clubs or shiny new cars, they can talk to me about what I choose to spend my money on.


6. Some friends really don't get cat and dog shows. They think they are silly beauty pageants and a waste of time. They do not get that competitions are social occasions with other people who appreciate dogs and cats the same way that I do. Dog performance competitions and even cat agility events reward companions for excelling at what they were meant to do.


7. Dogs and cats are great listeners. Friends offer well-meaning advice when I am depressed, but my cat and dog simply listen. They do not judge my tears or rants. They love me despite smelly feet, bad hair days or dumb mistakes - and eagerly change my mood with silly games. Friends do not understand that just being with my cat or dog cheers me up when I am sad, because a wagging tail or purr offers powerful emotional medicine.



8. People without pets do not understand the depth of grief I feel when a pet dies. A lost love deserves mourning that honours and respects that loss. Even if they have never experienced that level of connection with an animal, good friends support me through my grief. They listen to my tearful memories as long as it takes, because that is what I need.


We choose our friends because we enjoy their company, and we choose to share our lives with animal companions for the same reason. And hopefully, eventually, our good friends will begin to understand the place these animals have in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, great post! I have to admit, before Miss Maple entered my life, I probably fell into the category of 'non dog-owning friend' :| Although I have always admired the unique bond between human and animal, there were just some things I couldn't understand (e.g. #6 on the list)... Now, I'm always on the look out for pet shows and exhibitions ;)

    Great blog makeover, by the way. I'm liking the new look :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i nearly lost Enen 2 years ago due to rupture of the ureter due to stones.1st vet that i brough her to had a wrong diagnosis for her and told me to put her to sleep.They told me she had cancer.

    Enen was just 2 at that time and there was no way i am going to put her to sleep.Therefore brought her to another vet and he saved her life.

    The whole process was a pure torture.I cried day and night for the whole week.I could not concentrate on my daily chores at all.Since then,i realise how important she was to me.

    I belief that we should give them the best.So that when they are gone,we wont have any regrets.

    ReplyDelete